Checkup and Induction Question
The appointment started out with my blood pressure being way higher than usual. 132/94 or something like that- please don't comment on it and scare me because I don't need anything else to stress over right now but yes that is high for me.
So I made a joke about them sending me over to the hospital right now, and the nurse actually said that I wouldn't want to go now because L&D is FULL! How the heck does that happen? Besides a full moon and a low pressure system both in one week... anyway she said that people are starting out in the hallways and that they have postponed all the scheduled inductions for now and told people to stay home until they get a phone call! How crazy is that? ANd this isn't some little podunk hospital. We're talking about one of the main hospitals here in St. Louis. She said I need to hold off at least a few hours to go into labor so that they can get some of those people cleared out and/or delivered! I guess it's good that I didn't go in this morning before my appointment like I was hoping to :) On that note, I won't be doing any walking or eating spicy food until at least tomorrow.
I told the doctor I was concerned that I was possibly leaking fluid and so she checked my water and it didn't seem to have broken or be leaking. She used one of those pH strips and it didn't change color, and then she checked something under a microscope and it wasn't amniotic fluid- so I guess I have just been peeing my pants a little bit lately. Lovely. Yet another reason I would like to have this baby soon.
The other not-so-exciting news is that I am at 3.5 cm right now... which SOUNDS good since I haven't been even having contractions yet, but it's only a half a centimeter since last week. Jonathon was there and he said something like, "Only a half a centimeter in a whole week?" I got kind of snippy and said something like, "Yes, I've been telling my cervix not to do anything. I'd like to be pregnant forever!" She didn't mention effacement this week so I was assuming no change (still at 75%) and didn't want to ask. I asked if the baby was any lower and she tried to look hopeful and said, "Maybe just a smidge." Great. Thanks. The good news is that she's still head down. My belly has definitely gotten lopsided to the right lately so I was a little curious if she had twisted herself around.
Then the last event of the day was.... drumroll.... scheduling my induction! Ahhhhhhhhhhh I don't want to be induced. This was NOT part of my plan. Everything I've heard about being induced has not been good. My due date is April 14th, which is a Saturday, and she said I could pick any day the week after that and they won't let me go MORE than a week past my due date. So I randomly picked Monday the 16th (yes, still in hopes that I can make it to the wedding on the 20th but if I didn't go until then that's kind of doubtful anyway). She said I could change the date anytime... so now I am thinking maybe I should have made it for Wednesday the 18th or something instead and give Bailey a little more time to get out on her own. What are your thoughts? I would like to hear opinions from people who have been induced- please no horror stories but just helpful input about my options!
The crazy thing is that even if I go past my due date and I'm induced, I will definitely have a baby within two weeks from today! Wow...